Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Atlanta, Georgia
Living in a vehicle-oriented society can be hazardous for pedestrians. Statistics show that over 100,000 pedestrians are struck by vehicles each year in the United States. Because of the size, weight, and speed of vehicles, pedestrians struck by cars or trucks suffer serious injuries, and even death. These injuries may include broken bones, internal organ damage, severe cuts, loss of limbs, paralysis, and brain trauma.
If you or a loved one has been injured as a pedestrian, you could be facing serious long lasting medical and financial issues. For this reason, it’s vital an injured pedestrian or their family speaks with an experienced Atlanta personal injury attorney.
Georgia Statute of Limitations
If you or a family member is injured in a pedestrian accident, it’s important that you act quickly. In Georgia, an accident victim or their family has only two years from the accident date to file a personal injury claim.
Nonfatal Pedestrian Injuries
While not all pedestrian accidents result in fatality, many result in serious injury. If you, as a pedestrian, have been injured by a vehicle, you may be entitled to significant damages. Such damages may include the following:
- Lost wages due to time off from work.
- Medical bills, including physical therapy, medications, and rehabilitation.
- Pain and suffering caused by the accident.
- The cost of special equipment, such as wheelchairs and access ramps.
- Permanent disability, including loss of limbs, paralysis, and brain injury.
Georgia Pedstrian Accident Statistics
Pedestrian accidents have long been a problem in Georgia and the rest of the United States. In fact, famous Georgia author Margaret Mitchell (Gone with the Wind) was struck and killed while crossing an Atlanta street in 1949. As the population and the number of vehicles in the state have grown, so have the number of pedestrian injuries and fatalities.
The following statistics illustrate the dangers posed to pedestrians in Georgia:
- There are over 2000 pedestrian accidents each year in the state.
- Pedestrians are 32 times likely to be killed in an accident with a vehicle than the occupants of that vehicle.
- In accidents with motor vehicles, one out of every 16 pedestrians is killed.
- Approximately three pedestrians are killed each week in Georgia.
- The majority of pedestrian accidents occur on weekends between 6 p.m. and midnight.
Consult an Expert in Georgia
Mulholland & Sutlive, LLC has represented injured pedestrians in Georgia for many years. We are passionate about your cause and won’t hesitate to stand up against large insurance companies. We have your best interests at heart and will fight to get you the best settlement possible in your case.
Call us for a free consultation at (770) 350-2691 or fill out a contact form. We’re on your side.