Jackknife Accident Attorneys in Atlanta, Georgia
Unfortunately, compensation for these losses is hardly ever handed over without some difficulty; trucking companies are notorious for aggressively fighting against injury and wrongful death claims brought against them. If you have suffered considerable damages in a truck accident, you will need help from a legal professional to get the financial support you need and the justice you deserve.
At Mulholland & Sutlive, LLC, our experienced Atlanta truck accident attorneys are dedicated to protecting the rights and best interests of truck accident victims throughout the state of Georgia. We can help you:
- Investigate the details of your accident
- Find evidence that supports your claim and use it effectively in negotiations or trial
- Get full and fair compensation for your damages, including medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more
If you would like more information about our firm or want to schedule a free consultation with one of our dedicated legal team members, call (770) 350-2691. You may also submit an online contact form and we’ll get back to you shortly.
What Is a Jackknife Truck Accident?
Most large trucks on the road consist of a rig or tractor connected to multiple trailers in the back. A jackknife accident occurs when a truck skids and causes the trailer to spin out from its position behind the truck and fold in on the tractor like a jackknife, hence the name. This type of accident usually produces catastrophic outcomes, including serious or even deadly injuries. In the worst cases, smaller vehicles can get crushed between the tractor and the trailer, severely injuring or killing those inside.
What Are the Leading Causes of Jackknife Truck Accidents?
Although there are many factors which can contribute to a jackknife truck accident, the leading causes involve negligence on part of the operator and/or the trucking company. They include:
- Excessive Loads – Trucks must limit their loads to a safe capacity. If a truck carries an excessive amount of weight, the risk of a jackknife accident increases significantly.
- Improper Loading – Proper loading requires that the weight of the load be distributed evenly. If imbalanced, a heavy load can cause a trailer to sway and skid, which can lead to a jackknife truck accident.
- Improperly Maintained Brakes – It is absolutely critical that the truck’s brakes be maintained and adjusted on a regular basis. Otherwise, brake failure can contribute to a devastating jackknife accident.
How our Atlanta Georgia Jackknife Accident Lawyers Can Help
Jackknife truck wrecks typically are not accidents in the purest sense of the word: someone has to make a mistake first. In many cases, the mistake is made by the driver or the trucking company. For instance, if a trucking company fails to enforce regular maintenance, this increases the risk of brake failure and consequently the occurrence of a jackknife truck accident.
Our Atlanta trucking accident attorneys can help you take legal action to recover monetary damages from the trucker and/or trucking company liable for the crash. Whether through negotiation or litigation, we will make sure that you get no less than you deserve.